SIDE or the School of Isolated and Distance Education is the centre for distance learning within the WA Department of Education and Training. The school has a large and diverse student population ranging from Kindergarten to Year 12:
SIDE caters for:
- full time students unable to attend a conventional school due to geographical isolation
- WA students travelling Australia or the world, on a long term basis, with their parents
- WA students whose local high school does not offer the subjects they wish to study, or where the timetable does not allow them to join the class
- students suffering from long term illnesses
- part time adults undertaking courses to improve their education and employment options.
- the same subject choices as most primary schools and secondary schools
- a comprehensive choice of WACE and Vocational Post Compulsory courses
- written and audio visual materials customised for the distance learning student
- kits to accompany many courses
- a fully equipped Resource Centre has an extensive book, video and audio tape library with research and loan facilities
A wide range of communication systems is used to increase the interaction between student and teacher. These include telephones, electronic mail, interactive multimedia, the delivery of live television programs via satellite technology as well as video conferencing.